There are basically three ways to get a garage built.
You can hire an architect to draw up the required plans and then spend days running around trying to find all the materials you will need to build the garage.
You can hire a contractor to build it. While this might be much easier than buying a plan and building it yourself, it can certainly be more costly.
You can buy a garage kit or what is known as a prefabricated garage kit.
You may spend more money buying a garage kit than if you were to buy just a garage plan and build it yourself but it is much cheaper than hiring a contractor to do the work. Plus, prefab garages come with everything you need to build them, including all the materials, hardware and fasteners. This saves you from having to spend countless hours running around from lumber yard to hardware store and back trying to find everything you’ll need to build the garage.
Garage kits are easy to assemble because they were designed, well, for easy assembly. Most of the companies that sell garage kits have been in business for many years and know what they are doing. Their architects design the garages and their factories mass-produce dozens of kits a week. This translates into economies of scale that they can pass on to you in the form of cheaper prices.
If you decide to buy a garage kit, you have a number of other decisions to make, as they are available in a wide variety of sizes and styles. They are available in steel or wood, for one car or two, as 20' x 20', 10' x 20', 28' x 40' or even larger. And most come complete with overhead garage doors, a side entry door and windows. You can even select a garage kit that has a second floor and gambrel style roof.
If you have some construction skills, can use a drill and tape measure and tighten bolts with a crescent wrench, you can probably assemble a garage from a garage kit. These kits come with simple, easy-to-follow instructions that can make assembling that garage a snap. If you select a steel garage, there's no welding required–in fact you can assemble it using not much more than a power drill and a crescent wrench. In other words, putting together a garage kit is much like putting together a big model kit. If you have ever assembled a model airplane or assemble-it-yourself furniture, you’ll have a good idea of what’s required.
A garage kit is economical, attractive and relatively easy to assemble–making it a great choice for many people.
Once you have discovered mold growing in your home, your first step should be to identify what type of mold you are dealing with. Just because the mold you find is black in color does not mean you are dealing with either Stachybotrys atra or Stachybotrys chartarum, both of which are toxic forms of black mold. You will need to obtain a sample of the mold you have discovered and have it professionally tested to see what you are dealing with before you take any steps to treat or remove the mold in your home.
While it might be tempting to simply start scrubbing away at the mold infestation in your home, this is the worst possible mistake you can make. In fact, any mold growth you find should be disturbed as little as possible. Most mold experts will tell you that even when you are examining your home for any signs of black mold infestation, you need to take great pains not to disturb the mold growths any more than absolutely necessary.
The reason for this is quite simple, if you allow the mold to dry out or you scrub at it in an attempt to remove it, you run the risk of the spores literally launching into the air. When this happens, the spores will quickly become a part of the air you breathe. From this point on, every breath you take is likely to be loaded with these highly toxic spores. Once you have ingested a number of black mold spores, you open yourself up to a number of potentially serious health issues including, but not limited to:
It can be very easy to get carried away in your search for black mold. While it might be tempting to start ripping up carpet that has been exposed to water damage or tearing into the sheetrock in your home, this is bad idea. In doing this you are creating a situation where any mold you are likely to find will start spreading spores rapidly into the air you and your family breathe on a daily basis.
It is vital that if you suspect that your home has black mold behind its walls, you need to call in an expert to inspect behind the sheetrock. Professional mold treatment companies will drill holes no bigger than one half inch in diameter and then use a video camera to inspect the backside of the sheetrock. Once the inspection is complete and a sample has been obtained, all holes should be sealed to ensure that mold spores cannot spread into your home.
In most cases a mold specialist will tell you that one of the worst things you can do is to allow any black mold you find in your home to dry out. Once you allow the mold to dry out, you are eliminating a major part of its ability to sustain itself and an important food source. Mold is a living organism and as it begins to dry out, the mold will begin to release spores as a survival mechanism.
Molds such as the Stachybotrys species require plenty of moisture in order to not only survive, but to thrive. As long as the black mold growth is able to retain a high level of moisture, it is not likely to release much in the way of spores. However, if you create a situation where the mold growth is allowed to dry out and you do not take the appropriate steps to remove the growth, the spores will become airborne and pose serious health risks.
If you choose to attempt removal of any black mold growth you have found in your home without professional help, you must exercise extreme caution. Simple growths such as those you might find around your bathroom or kitchen windows or in the grout between tiles can usually be cleaned up easily. Experts will tell you to avoid using bleach or any of the many biocide chemical cleaning agents as in most cases these do not work and can cause significant environmental damage.
What they recommend instead is hot soapy water which is very effective and causes little to no environmental issues. However, if the growth you find is in the walls, carpets or insulation, you should seek professional remediation services to ensure that it is completely and safely removed. The reality is that black mold is highly toxic and must be treated accordingly or you could put your health and that of your family at serious risk.
Tracheobronchitis? What in the world is tracheobronchitis?
The true scientific name of this disease is infectious canine tracheobronchitis. It is commonly known as kennel cough and is caused by an inflammation of the dog’s bronchi and trachea.
The dogs most at risk for kennel cough are young puppies. This is due to the fact that they have underdeveloped immune systems and can suffer the most severe complications. Older dogs that have decreased immune capabilities are also at risk, as are pregnant bitches who also have less resistance to infections.
As you might guess, the most common symptom of kennel cough in dogs is a dry, hacking cough. If the dog has kennel cough, the cough may sound like honking. The dog might also retch and have a watery nasal discharge. If the dog has a mild case of kennel cough, he or she will likely stay active and eat normally.
If the kennel cough becomes severe, the symptoms can turn into pneumonia and even cause the dog to die. Puppies that have not been vaccinated, dogs that are immunocompromised or young dogs are most likely to have the severest symptoms of this disease.
Kennel cough can have several different causes. The most common are Bordetella bronchiseptica, parainfluenza virus and mycoplasma. Canine herpes virus, canine adenovirus and reovirus can also cause kennel cough. However, in most cases, the disease is caused by several organisms. The most common organism that causes tracheobronchitis is the parainfluenza virus. It generally causes mild symptoms that last a week or less, assuming other bacteria are not involved.
Most dogs that develop kennel cough recover fairly quickly and without the need for medication. In fact, if the dog has a mild case, it won’t even need antibiotics. In some cases, your vet may give the dog an anti-inflammatory agent to reduce the frequency and severity of the its coughing, and to make him or her more comfortable.
If your dog is not eating, is showing signs of severe respiratory problems or is running a fever, the disease may have progressed into pneumonia, in which case your vet will probably prescribe antibiotics.
This disease is usually diagnosed based on your dog’s symptoms and whether or not it's been exposed to other dogs. The reason why puppies are much more likely to develop kennel cough then mature dogs is because puppies are, well, in kennels where they can be exposed to this very infectious disease.
If you believe your dog has kennel cough and you take it to your vet, he or she will probably do a complete blood count, chemical blood profile and a urinalysis. These tests are performed in order for the vet to determine which agents are causing the dog’s kennel cough so it can be treated accordingly.
In most cases kennel cough is not a really serious canine disease and will ultimately go away just as do our colds. However, if your dog has a persistent, forceful cough, seems to be running a fever or is retching, it would be a good idea for you to take it to your vet–just to be on the safe side. Kennel cough is usually a very mild disease but as you have read, it could become serious, turn into pneumonia or even kill your dog.